Monday, November 7, 2011

Cholesterol and 5K commitment

When I donate blood, they send me a letter stating my cholesterol level. A year and a half ago, it was 200 (that is the line where they say "hey! That's TOO high!). Three months later it was 191. Three months later (I believe that's how long it was..anyway...) it was still 191. Then I missed a donation and so it was about 6 months down the road, this past month, and it was 151! Yes! Of course, I know it has everything to do with GREASE which I now consider an enemy. Weight loss isn't the ONLY benefit of eating healthy!

I have a dear friend who is a KOPS (KEEPING off pounds sensibly--she's at goal weight)...and who is the coordinator for a yearly 5K run. It is in June. I walk 3 miles almost every day now, so I know I can do this. BUT I don't want to come in last, ya know? LOL Right now I probably would. But anyway...I stuck my neck out and committed to her that I would run the 5K next June. And so....yes....I will! I have plenty of time to work up to a faster speed and as I lose weight along the way it will get even easier. I plan to time one 5K each week and and see how my time improves. I'm also going to captain a team and I'm trying to get as many TOPS members as I can to commit. Right now, I've only gotten ONE tops person to commit. Sadly, it seems like everyone has this "eh, I can't do that" attitude. I was like "Hello? You have 7 months to get ready for this! Do you really think that 7 months from now you still won't be able to walk 3.1 miles? If so, that's pretty negative and unambitious thinking." I of course wouldn't say it that way, but I think it LOL. It saddens me to see how many TOPS members aren't really trying. They come to TOPS each week and they visit and then go out to eat with their friends but they AREN'T TRYING to get healthy (I'm talking in general here-- I know there are a few here and there that ARE going after it with all they have). Anyway, it is frustrating. It makes you want to shake them and say "Get ahold of yourself already!!!" BUT.................................not very long ago, I was in their shoes. It's not something someone can shake into you. It's something that has to come from within yourself. I'm loving the progress and changes I have made and continue to make. I have changed more in the past 6 months that I have EVER. I just wish I could give that to other people. somehow.

That was a really run-on paragraph. Oh well.

Have a great day!

And I dare you-----COMMIT to a run then tell me about it :)

(p.s. The same KOPS friend wants me to commit to a Christmas 5K (about a month from now) in a town about an hour from here and she is really pushing for me to do it. I COULD do it but would have to walk it. I might come in last. I still considered it. But hubby thinks I should wait. He thinks it would be too much and too cold and too far away and that I'm not ready. So.... we will see.)

3 comments:

  1. I so love your committment...ya go girl :-)


    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great you've commited to a 5k and who cares if you come in last just that you finish I say :) I'm so proud of you that you're feeling so motivated and doing this. You really can do anything you set your mind to and I too wish we could give that feeling to everyone we meet :) But it does have to come in their own time. You doing these things though does help motivate them though even if they don't think they can do it themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you were closer to me, I would so be there to do that 5k with you! And if you have a friend to walk the one in December with you, you should do it too! It will be a great motivator!

    ReplyDelete